I keep all my buttons in a large jar and love being able to see the mix of colors, shapes, and sizes through the glass – so it’s no surprise how much I think these button crafts are simply the cutest.
Who doesn’t have a jar of buttons tucked away somewhere? Why not pull them out and make a sweet Button Topiary & Button Egg? Designer Patty Schaffer did just that when she created this pair. (Do check out Patty’s blog Capture the Details. Her paper designs are wonderfully whimsical and her etsy shop never disappoints.) Change up the colors of buttons for holiday decorating – I think this would be beautiful with a red & white peppermint theme.
Follow along with Patty’s tutorial but don’t stop there . . . you can use Patty’s technique to make button wreaths, button ornaments, even decorative accents like button-covered foam cubes.
STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” x 4” cone; 3-13/16” x 2-7/8” egg
Off-white buttons in assorted sizes, about 600
Assorted colored buttons, about 40
1 ½” Assorted color pearlized pins, about 650
Silver beads, about 40
Optional: Candle pedestal; 2 ½” coarse thread drywall screw; E-6000 Adhesive (Topiary can also stand on a tabletop without the pedestal.)
1. If you’re not using a pedestal, skip to Step 3. To make the candle pedestal, glue head of drywall screw to the center of the pedestal using the E-6000 adhesive. Let dry.
2. When the glue is dry, slide the center of the cone onto the spike.
3. Starting at the bottom of the cone, pin off-white button on and around the cone. Overlap buttons as you go to cover up gaps.
4. Thread silver bead onto pin and pin on colorful accent buttons at random.
5. Continue till the cone is covered.
1. Pin off-white buttons onto the egg, overlapping as you go to cover up gaps.
2. Thread silver bead onto pin and pin on colorful accent buttons at random.
3. Continue till the egg is covered.
Sharon can be found at Crafts ‘n Coffee, a blog all about creating with STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. The blog features fresh and crafty inspiration made by a variety of different creative designers.
You can also follow Styrocrafts on Twitter and Facebook.
Thanks so much Sharon and Patty for sharing these adorable button crafts. How gorgeous would these be for the upcoming winter holidays…I’m thinking the topiaries would be perfect for a Christmas tablescape or dessert table….I need to keep these in mind when I need to add a little height to a display!